It’s day 4 of the build, and that can mean only one thing – starting off by taking it all apart again. Yes, I decided that the front subframe just will not do. So, in an effort to make the front end more realistic I decided to move the engine so that it was on top of the wheels rather than behind them. That meant redesigning the suspension assembly again to make it wider so that the engine could sit inside. It was a bit tedious, to be honest, but it was worth it once it was done as it looks so much better now, and hopefully it’ll be stronger too once I get the arms braced from the front side of the subframe.
The front subframe also now has a diagonal strut on each side, further strengthening it, which is no bad thing given that’s where a lot of the force is going to be taken, right over the wheels. I’ve also widened the front subframe to give me more space between the steering shaft and the drive shaft, which has allowed for a far more compact yet satisfactory connection between engine and drive shaft. It now runs smoothly and efficiently with only the most essential cogs in between (I want to retain a high cog ratio so that the engine spins fast even when the car is moving slowly). Oh, and the front subframe has been significantly shortened, too.
I haven’t touched the rear end today, and I still haven’t made a start on the bodywork, but that’ll come. I figured out today a way of having powered lights in the front (thanks to a couple of my old models), which will be fun. Not particularly bright, but the effect will still be there. Just about. Unfortunately I’m coming down with a cold, so staying up late to work on the project just isn’t going to happen. I also haven’t taken any photos of today’s progress, so I’ll try to do that tomorrow morning when there’s some nice natural light, and update this post with some close-up shots. Photos now included!