This week it was officially announced that the band I set up at church will be called “Rooted”. This quite nicely fits in with the theme of the church, which seems to be all tree-related; the church is called Orchard Baptist Church, our mums-and-toddlers group is called Little Pips, Sunday School is called The Treehouse, and we have a youth group starting called Roots. It also fits theologically, with us as Christians being rooted in Christ. Not only that but I’ve been able to play around with Photoshop and create a couple of nice graphics to go with the name – one is of a sunny hillside with trees sculpted to create the letters of the word, which is pretty cool, and the other one is relatively simple black text but with roots growing out the bottom of each letter.
Going back to the music, which after all is the main reason for the band, I managed to record all of our songs onto a CD yesterday. I would have liked to have had a recording of the band itself, but I couldn’t figure out a way of recording our last rehearsal, so it ended up just being me sat on the floor with my guitar and a microphone propped up on a char. The idea was just to create a CD for the band to use as an aid to learning the songs, rather than being performance quality. As a result there are a few pops and glitches in the actual recording, and of course it’s just me singing with my guitar, which is pretty boring. Still, it’s a fair representation of what I want from the songs, so the band should be able to practise fairly easily to it.
The uprooting today was me de-weedifying the garden. We had an inspection earlier this week and were told that the garden was the only thing we needed to put some more effort into. I can completely understand that though, it has got rather out of control just recently, and I’ve not had the time nor the motivation to do anything about it. So today I mustered my forced enthusiasm and got outside with my gardening gloves, and uprooted whatever I could lay my hands on that I didn’t think ought to have been there. It was quite tiring, but I managed to fill three garden sacks full of weeds – just shows how bad it had got! I also cut back the rose bush in the front garden, which was less of a bush and more of a tall spindly tree which couldn’t hold its own weight and hit the lounge window at the slightest breath of wind. So that’s now cut down to size, and the flowers brought inside to brighten the place up a bit.
And now I’ve just finished watching Fight Club, so my head is a little screwed up right now. Very weird film. Very clever, but very weird.